NTA has called interested applicants for the implementation of a free WiFi network in tourist and religious places of Nepal. The regulator uses its internal fund for the WiFi network tender. As the Visit Nepal 2020 is around the corner
NTA divides all the places into three packages. Package A is for the trekking routes of Annapurna Circuit and Muktinath temple. Whereas Package B is for the WiFi internet connection along the route to Everest base camp. Similarly, Package C includes the popular religious destinations like Janaki Temple, Pathivara, Halesi Mahadev, Barah Chettra, Gurudwara, Jame Mosque and Panch Kashmiri Takiya.
Features of the NTA WiFi Project
- The dedicated internet bandwidth in each location shall be from 10 Mbps to 25 Mbps and the cached bandwidth shall range from 50 Mbps to 125 Mbps. The more remote the location, NTA gives relief in the internet bandwidth. The most difficult place of Everest base camp requires 10 Mbps dedicated internet bandwidth and 50 Mbps cached.
- The WiFi AP shall be of 2.4 GHz and 5 MHz with seamless exchange/operation after authentication.
- They need to authenticate the user with a One-time password (OTP) sent by SMS to their mobile number and then provide free WiFi access.
- List of Free WiFi in Kathmandu by KMC.
- The free WiFi will last for 15 minutes and the speed will be of 1 Mbps. After this, the customer shall purchase different approved packages online.
- The selected operator shall operate, manage and monitor the Wi-Fi network for 5 years.
- The operator shall pay a 4% annual Royalty and 2% as Remote telecommunication development fund to the Government of Nepal.
- The operator shall have software for the operation and maintenance of the WiFi System.